Presented by the YMCA
Now everyone can participate in the excitement of race day during “America’s Toughest Road Marathon”. Thanks to Carilion Children’s and YMCA Roanoke we are now offering families with kids of all ages a one mile event. The race starts right after the Foot Levelers Blue Ridge Marathon Series so kids can experience the thrill that comes with a big time race. In 2017 the Family 1 Miler will have their own separate gun start as well so they don’t get lost in the crowd.
We’ve designed an out and back course (on Jefferson) that will take participants past hundreds of cheering fans, and then back to cross the official Blue Ridge finish line. After the race, 1-Milers can stay to cheer on 10k and half marathon finishers who will be right on their tails!
- Date: April 22nd, 2017
- Location: Elmwood Park (Start Line-Jefferson St. in front of the Patrick Henry Hotel)
- Race Start Time: 7:35am (we recommend being there a minimum of 15 minutes in advance)
- Light snacks & drinks to be provided by Carilion Children’s after race.
- Race shirt included for all ages except 2 & under.
- All participants will receive a special prize when crossing the finish line.
Family 1 Miler Registration:
- $8/child (Children 2 & Under are FREE- No need to register just sign waiver at packet pick-up)
- 12+ years old can run the mile without a guardian running with them (parents please accompany child to start/finish area regardless of age)
- $35/family (4+ participants)
- Simply select the option that suits your families needs. If you just have a parent/child duo, then just register for two. If the whole family wants to join then we don’t want you to break the bank, so please select the family option.
We have received feedback from our participants that there is plenty of parking in downtown Roanoke on race day, click here for a google maps of all surrounding parking garages. Once you park, just look for the large teal colored “Family 1 Miler” signs at the starting line where we will reserve a space for you and your family to safely gather.
Have questions? Contact the YMCA event manager.